Today I will talk about the discoveries in our new home. More specifically, I’ll talk about how to find a good hairdresser when you move, or your hairdresser changes, or he retires, or when your style changes and your hairdresser doesn't understand what you want or isn't competent to do. It is the first text on how to start creating consumer references in a place you do not know or that you have only visited as a tourist. But it works for many other situations, such as the ones I exemplified above. As in the previous text, on friendships, I will share some personal experiences that can help you find your way.
Since before I left my city, I wanted to wear short hair. I tried it once at my grandmother's hairdresser and maybe because he was her hairdresser, maybe because he was incompetent, the result was ridiculous. Chin-length hair (very long compared to what I wanted), straight at the base and five times thicker than when it was longer. My long hair was no more than 20cm below my shoulder. Very short, close to the hair length of many celebrities and most Brazilian teens today. The result of this experiment was a hair in the shape of a trapezoid which I thought was ridiculous and I only tried to cut it short again after I moved from that place.
The first time I decided to cut it short after this, I went to a hairdresser near my home in Uberlândia and one day asked to have it cut just like the magazine cover photo I took him to see (I don't recommend you to do the same. The possibilities of frustration are immense. On another occasion I explain my reasons). It was a long cut. The result was exactly like the picture. I have enjoyed the cut for a couple of months and thought that hairdresser would be able to make my dream of wearing short hair come true. I went back there determined to go out with short hair. The result was longer than I currently use, but he really cut it short. I liked it and never had long hair again. After several cuts, the hairdresser, who was a partner in the beauty salon, broke the partnership and moved to Uberaba. I did not know the skills of his former partner, I preferred not to take risks and I went to the salon he was working at in Uberaba (I don't remember if this other salon belonged to him, but it doesn't matter). Uberaba is about an hour from Uberlândia if you go by car. It is closer than going to another (not close) neighbourhood in some big cities like Sao Paulo. He charged a little more than he charged in Uberlândia and the cut wasn't that good. I was frustrated and without a hairdresser.
After a few months of this trip to Uberaba, I moved to Porto Alegre. During the first months in the city I met a guy who invited me to join Orkut, a social network that was new at the time (2004) and only those who had an invitation entered. On Orkut I found a community of women with short hair, I went in and asked for references to good hairdressers in Porto Alegre for short cuts. My hair was still short, but too long for my taste (almost medium). I got about 3 responses from the salons where the gauchas cut their hair short, picked the one closest to home and went. I had it cut by a hairdresser who had a little longer hair than mine and wore mullet. And for some time he has left the back of my hair a bit long, covering the nape of my neck, which is the very part I want to expose the most. But when I explained that I wanted to uncover the back of the head, it all worked out. I cut with this hairdresser until the transfer from Porto Alegre.
In Curitiba I went to take someone who was also new to the city to a hairdresser and I was lucky that she was assisted by someone who loves to cut short hair. And I decided to cut my hair with him. But we kept getting shorter and shorter cuts and it seems the shorter I cut the faster my hair grows, so I started cutting the back at home. Since it required a lot of scissors work and was certainly poorly finished, I bought a machine. And after the machine I don't often go to the hairdresser. Since I have been working with fashion and style all my life, it is easy for me to learn related things and I have done many things to cut and dye my hair myself.
Yes, there are several ways to find a good hairdresser. With the exception of my grandmother's hairdresser, all the hairdressers I had for short cuts were good. The first never cut as short as I always wanted, but they were always cuts that I liked, before the Uberaba experience. The second understood well what I wanted. I was bothered by the back of my head, but at first I said nothing. When I explained to him that I prefer the back uncovered, he understood and the cuts were always perfect. It's worth mentioning that I came there with a longer nape and short hair, and I haven't seen a cut in months. The most recent encouraged me to learn how to cut, because when he saw what I was doing to keep the nape of my neck uncovered at home he thought the result was good, despite the ugly finish in the back. I took a client from my style consultancy job there after I bought the machine, and even for the long cuts he is very good.
There is no ready-made recipe, but knowing what you want and communicating it clearly is very important. And that has to do with the reasons why I don't recommend cutting like magazines or celebrities. Follow my social media profiles to get notifications of new texts, including what I will explain this.
If you run a company linked to the topics covered on this website, read the media kit to find out how to promote your products and services in our communication channels.
This text, like all others on this website, is protected by copyright. All rights are reserved to the author.
Nycka, the Nomad
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment here