🇬🇧 Fruits and vegetables for picky eaters

When we think about well being we think about to eat well, to have a balanced diet. I think this must start when we're children, but some of us did not have the healthy example at home, so, it's never too late to change.

I was a picky eater when I was a child. My regular meals were rice, beans, potatoes and meat or chicken. Currently I love vegetables, but I'm still picky to eat fruits. If you give me a watermelon to eat I'll refuse. The taste is good, so, I'd love the juice of that fruit, but all that seeds discourage me to eat it.

How did I change?

I started trying chinese food when I was 22, soon after to move from my hometown to study at the university in another. In the city where I was born there weren't chinese restaurants. Soy sauce is helpful to change the taste of the vegetables, so, I loved Yakissoba (that chinese pasta with vegetables and meat). The same time, at home one of my roommates used to prepare some good soufflés with vegetables. Every week the day she cooked she prepared some soufflé and I liked. As I like to cook (but only when my creativity can participate), later I started trying to prepare vegetables trying new flavours. Some years ago I tried to be vegetarian and, avoiding a soy-based diet, I chose to try all the vegetables I could. And my diet became richer and colourful.

For fruits my path is to eat them the way I exclude what displeases me. To have the benefits of watermelon, I drink the juice or try an ice cream. To eat banana I fry it and eat it with sugar. Or I can prepare a cake or a smoothie with yogurt or milk, banana and something more to add some colour.

It's like with friendship. Some friends are great to go out with; others are as fans of cinema as I am, so we often see some movie together, other ones like the same kind of music and we go to some shows together, and so on. The same way, there are fruits and vegetables we like to eat raw, other ones we prefer cooked, baked, fried or as juices, smoothies, ice creams. Some we need something to change its taste or colour. Other we appreciate the colour and taste. And somewhat we find the balance for our bodies. I recommend you to visit a good nutritionist instead of follow these crazy diets we often see as the trend of the moment. Currently, some of them are about to cut gluten, lactose or carbohydrates. I prefer to cut nothing and be open to try new flavours, new mixes of ingredients, new experiences.


Nycka, the Nomad

Comments